- Alpaca Farm - Visit the farm, help process the raw fiber from the shaved off blanket, sorting, cleaning and carding. Bring back to the classroom bags of fiber ready for our felting project
- Paper-making - Visit and tour the Twinrocker paper-making operation in Brookston, IN
- Weaving workshop - Meet with a weaving/basket artist at a museum or park, see the artist art pieces, brainstorm with them, help each student start on a sculptural weaving.
Click here to see a photo gallery of our 2012 trip to the Alpaca Farm.
Projects and Techniques Covered
- Batik: History, Traditional & Modern technique
- Crochet & Knitting: History, Choice of Project differentiated by level of experience, knitting loom for the lower levels.
- Weaving: History of textiles and baskets, Projects include: tar-paper basket, wrapping paper basket, willow stick weaving, twill woven place-mat, Cherokee Double Wall Basket
- Coiling: Animal Sculpture
- Felting: Wet and Needle Felting projects
- Paper-making: History, Field trip to paper making shop, make paper for Bookmaking
- Bookmaking: Multiple types of small wallet sized books
- Wire Wrapping & Chainmail
- Clothing/ Screen-printing: History, Project with multiple layers of color, Logo design
- Latch-hook: Famous Artist or Artwork Interpretation, self- designed
- Quilling- Self-designed